Total Pageviews

Tuesday, 10 December 2013

Elusive Spoonbill at Dungarvan

I had to 'See a man about a dog' in Waterford today so I decided to leave early and travel on to Dungarvan first in the hoping of finding the resident/ returning Spoonbill. I had been in contact with Richard Zamora and he gave me a few pointers about its favoured location.
I arrived at ten thirty, just at high tide, and set up my scope, behind the pitch and putt, checking the roosting gulls on the Cunnigar as suggested. I stayed here for the best part of three hours but with the weather worsening and only a nice but distant pair of long-tailed duck and a passing peregrine to show for it I had all but given up hope and had even packed up my scope. I decided to cast a final eye over the Cunnigar with my bins and as I did I saw two people walking the shore.
I unpacked and reset the scope and followed the shoreline as the gulls, waders and cormorants scattered. With the tide now receding a few settled near me on the spit behind the pitch and putt. But still no spoonbill!!  Finally I spun the scope around to search the reed beds at the end of the track and at last my luck was in, the Spoonbill was there close to shore and giving great views before finally returning to roost with the gulls on the spit. A wet, windy and miserable day but another lifer for me and I certainly left with a spring in my step!




 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment