Total Pageviews

Friday, 3 January 2014

2013 Birding Round-Up

What a year that was! I had decided at the start of the year do try my first 'year list'. I tried to travel around as much as possible but with no car that wasn't always possible but for the majority of my findings, thankfully, it looks like Wexford was the place to be. Three separate Shrike species, one of which (the Red-backed) I found myself and am very proud of, a long waited for Long-eared Owl, a very elusive Corncrake, a very distant but scoped and tickable Golden Eagle, and a rather curious looking bird, the Wryneck, are perhaps my highlights but it was a great year birding so its very hard to choose. My tally finished, on Dec 30th, with a Kumliens Gull at Kilmore Quay. That put me up to 177 species for the year (a staggering 39 of which were 'lifers' for me - that list now stands at 201!). Here's a few of my favourite photos from during the year. I hope, kind reader, you like my blog. I appreciate the page views and who knows what 2014 has in store.
Buff-breasted Sandpiper

Citrine Wagtail

Great Skua

Glossy Ibis

Kumlien's Gull

Kingfisher

Little Stint

Blue-headed Wagtail

Waxwing

Red Kite (untagged)

Long-eared Owl

Osprey

Corncrake

Great Skua

Bearded Reedling

Red-backed Shrike

Cuckoo

Red-backed Shrike (phonescoped)

Gull-billed Tern (phonescoped)

Pectoral Sandpiper

Wryneck

Spoonbill
 
Woodchat Shrike
 
Mediterranean Gull

 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment