I had the very good fortune last week to be able to visit Skokholm Island, off the Pembrokeshire Coast in Wales. Known for its large Manx Shearwater colony and history as a bird observatory this small island is, in my opinion, an under appreciated place of pristine beauty and rustic charm.
The wardens, Richard and Gisele are doing a superb job. The island is immaculate, the wildlife is abundant and, with the use of well thought out tracks through the bracken and along the coast, accessible without human interaction being too intrusive.
The volunteers while I was there, Rachelle, Bryony and Erin (sorry for any spelling errors), are outstanding. Always helpful and friendly, their passion and enthusiasm is clear to see and is quite contagious. They engaged with us constantly, whether trying to i.d. strange moths and insects, ringing storm petrel and manx shearwater or guiding us on the occasional twitch, I can not offer them enough thanks or praise.
I feel genuinely blessed to have experienced this magical place and with such incredible people. I thoroughly enjoyed myself even if the weather was a little unseasonally unsettled.
I recommend anyone reading this to try and pay a visit to Skokholm, you wont regret it.
Here is a few photo highlights from my trip.
 |
| Storm Petrel |
 |
| Storm Petrel |
 |
| Common Dolphin |
 |
| Storm Petrel chick |
 |
| Reed Warbler |
 |
| Raven |
 |
| Small Copper |
 |
| Buzzard |
 |
| Water Rail |
 |
| Hummingbird Hawk moth |
 |
| Swallow |
 |
| Dunlin |
 |
| Manx Shearwater chick |
 |
| Slow Worm |
 |
| Peregrine |
 |
| Pied Flycatcher |
 |
| Slow Worm nest |
 |
| Kestrel |
 |
| Migrant Hawker |
 |
| Common Sandpiper |
 |
| Sedge Warbler |
 |
| Fulmar |
 |
| Harbour Porpoise |
 |
| Litttle Stint |
 |
| Fulmar |
 |
Yellow Shell
|
No comments:
Post a Comment