Total Pageviews

Tuesday, 4 March 2014

Catch up!

I've been having problems with my wifi recently (whether I can blame the recent bad weather and storms or not I'm not sure) so I haven't been blogging. I think I'm more or less back on track now so here's a quick update of my last couple of outings. Hope you like!
Storms washed up a common dolphin on blackhall strand so I went down to take a look (and a few snaps), looks like it took a battering off the rocks, poor thing. I also got a fleeting glimpse of a Glaucous Gull while I was down there.


 
Just as I was leaving word came through that a Ross's Gull had been found at Lady's Island. Not being one to miss an opportunity I made may down where I met up with Richard Zamora. The gull had been present on the lake but wasn't there when I arrived, however after a few minutes it returned and gave cracking views as it loafed and landed, feeding along the shore oblivious to us and our attempts to get a decent pic. I was delighted I made it down as, unlike the Dublin and Kinsale birds, the Wexford bird only stayed one day!








 
Dun Laoghaire was my next port of call (pardon the pun!) when I had some time to kill after taking care of some work stuff. A Red-necked Grebe had been present in the harbour for a few days and the opportunity was too good to miss. After searching along the east pier (it's previously favoured location) and having no joy I decided to move around to the centre of the harbour and the marina area. I found the grebe here and got a couple of quick shots but it was very mobile, between the marina wall and the west pier before, moving towards the bandstand area - where I had been :-[ I made my way back around and got another couple (of more distant) shots and a nice summer plumaged Med. Gull (three present). A few Gannet and Guillemot inside the harbour wall, summer and winter plumaged Black Guillemot and a Purple Sandpiper on the seaward side of the east pier were the best of the rest.













 
Last but not least was a couple of Chough from Bannow today. Super birds that I hope settle and nest in the area.

 
The fantastic Ross's Gull and the Red-necked Grebe were both lifers for me so lets hope I can keep adding to that list!
 
Thanks for paying a visit.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment